Thursday, April 27, 2006

I need a little help...

No, I don't want any money...

My latest rip, Ukonu - Real Native, had a problem with excessive surface noise. I tried out some new software and I have mixed feelings about the results. Here are two versions of track 2: Ada Le, one with noise reduction and one without. The one with "(noise)" in the track title is the one without the noise filter. Maybe I did that backwards? Anyhow, if you could take a couple of minutes and compare the two and let me know which version you prefer, I'd appreciate it. It will help me to know how to deal with filtering on future rips. Thanks!

Click here.

3 Comments:

Blogger BenT said...

yeah. The little bit of surface noise I could hear at the beginning of the track was less noticeable once the drums kicked in. the filtered track reduces the body of the drums.

I found out on my blog that the Nero de-clicker software I have tended to make horn and saxophone parts get somewhat clipped.

Better to just clean the discs as best as you can, and rip them without the filters. let any audiophiles that download your rip run their own filters if they want.

great album, by the way. Thanks!

1:29 AM  
Blogger Tiki-Tim said...

Hi Kono....I just stumbled across your blog..Great post's by the way.I just downloaded your samples and will let you know tonight.As a professional ripper of LP's I would only recommend you only run a pop & de-click remover.Anything else will severly reduce quality of the rip once you compress it to mp3.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Kono said...

You guys are right. I used the noise reduction against my better judgement. Yeah Tim (hope to see you blogging again soon), I usually just use the de-clicker but the surface noise just irked the hell out of me on this one. Sometimes I think its better to not use headphones when you edit as it can make you get too anal, hearing all the little imperfections.

I'm going to re-upload the entire Ukonu LP without the noise filter. Thanks for the feedback.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home