Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Alfred Apaka - Aloha, Apaka!


Alfred Apaka with Orchestra directed by Axel Stordahl and the Hawaiian Village Serenaders.

I read somewhere that if Don Ho was the Elvis of Hawaii then Alfred Apaka was the Bing Crosby of Hawaii. I have absolutely no idea what that means.

I was just reading his bio on allmusic.com and it says: "Although many predicted that he would become a successful mainstream vocalist, Apaka took a different route when he convinced multimillionaire Henry Kaiser to build a hotel, The Hawaiian Village, that included a showroom where he starred in his own extravagant revue. Apaka's energetic performances soon made the hotel an essential tourist attraction, and his popularity continued to grow."

So Alfred got Henry Kaiser to build The Hawaiian Village resort (which later became the Hilton Hawaiian Village) that featured a showroom in which Alfred performed and in which Rene Paulo and his group recorded "Beyond Happiness" (third post below this one) a couple of years after Mr Apaka passed away of a heart attack at the young age of 41. Now that's a little bit of blogging synchronicity. I'd wager that Rene Paulo became the feature act after Alfred passed on.

Ther first couple of tracks have a little excess surface noise but it gets better after that.

Aloha, Apaka!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super! Super! Exelent! I'ts my lovely singer.Your collection greatest!

12:02 PM  
Blogger VacadaRisasOs said...

Muchas gracias Sr. Koono
Saludos

3:22 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

thx kono, i own this record and have yet to listen to it! irony. big ups!

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love ALfred, but my favorite is Ray Kinney. He was a big part of the Hilton Hawaiian Village Luau as well and is on a few of the Hawaii Calls records recorded there. His voice has a soulfulness Apaka's does not. He does not do all the up-tempo stuff Apaka does either, so, his audience I think is not as great.

Interetsing footnote: Apaka was heading off to MEdical School when he was discovered.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Axel Stordahl did some of my favorite stuff on his own as well. Should make a good record together.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Don Ho = Elvis, then Apaka = Crosby. Makes perfect sense to me. Crosby crooned Hawaiian, setting stage for next generation - Elvis. Apaka set stage for Ho. Mainland, island. I don't put much merit in this comparison, but it makes a little sense.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents loved Alfred Apaka. He has a haunting voice. I still have several of the LPs he recorded. This particular one has my two favorites. Mapuana makes you want to melt, and Narcissus Queen is very Oriental in the instrumentation. Although it was played all the time on our 1960 Magnavox Stereo, it still is not too scratchy. My sister recently went to Hawaii and was not able to find any of his CDs for sale. His is a voice that should not be lost, but enjoyed for eternity. In 1967 when I was 11 years old We went to see Don Ho. I am sorry to say that by that time Alfred was gone from this life, and Don Ho was was a big disappointment. I knew that, even at such a young age. He was hokey and full of himself. My apologies to the Ho lovers out there, but his talent pales in the Hawaiian moonlight, while Apaka shines like Waikiki beach on a sunny day.

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Inversiones en petroleo said...

Hello, i like to read blog like this because has images.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous inversiones en oro said...

hello, this post is amazing, i would like to read more about it, because think that this information is very interesting.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous sex-shop said...

Oh my god, there's so much worthwhile information here!

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home